Clara's Miracle Rice Shrimp Okra Gumbo
- Good Points
- High in manganese
- High in phosphorus
- High in vitamin A
- High in vitamin B6
- High in vitamin B12
- Very high in vitamin C
- Bad Points
- Very high in cholesterol
- Serving Size 2338 g
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 2087Calories from Fat 682
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat 75.8g117%
- Saturated Fat 13.2g66%
- Trans Fat 0.2g
- Cholesterol 1921mg640%
- Sodium 2862mg119%
- Potassium 5029mg144%
- Total Carbohydrates 108.7g36%
- Dietary Fiber 35.4g142%
- Sugars 29.9g
- Protein 229.8g
- Vitamin A 239%Vitamin C 562%
- Calcium 159%Iron 106%
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- 1 package Miracle Rice, rinsed, boiled and drained.
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 can Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chilies)
- 1 pack of your favorite brand smoked sausage, sliced or cubed (I use turkey, less calories)
- 8 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 2 pounds shrimp (peeled)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Or Tony Chachere's Seasoning or your favorite brand
- Total cooking time is 1 hour.
- Add oil to heavy bottom pot.
- When oil is hot add the onions. Cook until onions start to brown.
- Add the bell peppers.
- Cook on high heat until peppers start to brown. At this point the onions will begin to look burnt but this is what will darken your gumbo.
- Add celery and cook until celery begins to soften. Add the Rotel.
- Cook until all the water has cooked out. This may take about 4 minutes.