Serve the chilli with a salad for lunch, or with scrambled eggs and baked tortilla chips for brunch. Or serve on it’s own with toppings like crumbled goat cheese, diced avocado, plain yogurt, and salsa. Maybe buy pickled carrots from a taco stand or jicama sticks from a salad bar. Use all-purpose chilli powder like Spice Islands; substitute green pepper for the red, or crookneck squash for the zucchini. Or throw in some diced cooked chicken. It’s just an easy, satisfying dish.
- 4 servings
- 1 8-ounce bag Miracle Rice
- 11/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup ½-inch dice red onion
- 1 cup ½-inch dice red bell pepper
- 1 4- to 5-ounce zucchini, quartered lengthwise, seeded, then cut into ½-inch dice
- 3 large garlic cloves, smashed, peeled, finely chopped (about 4 teaspoons)
- 4 to 41/2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 13/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 13/4 teaspoons dried leaf oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 4 large canned tomatoes in puree (from 28-ounce can), drained, diced, puree reserved
- 1 cup drained cannellini (white kidney) beans, bean juices reserved
- ½ teaspoon (or more) kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Prepare the Miracle Rice according to the package directions and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, zucchini, and garlic. Sauté 5 to 6 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add 4 teaspoons chilli powder, cumin, and oregano. Stir until the spices coat the vegetables. Mix in diced tomatoes, 2/3 cup reserved tomato puree, beans, ½ cup reserved bean juices, then Miracle Rice.
- Place skillet over medium heat and bring chilli to simmer. Cover skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 13 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally and adding more tomato puree or bean juices by tablespoonfuls, if thechilli is dry. Mix in ½ teaspoon (or more) salt, pepper to taste, and remaining ½ teaspoon chilli powder, if desired, then ß¼ cup cilantro.
- Spoon chilli into bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro and green onions. Serve, passing remaining cilantro and green onions.
Red Bell Pepper
Posted in Recipes