1 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup roughly chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 Tbsp bacon fat, divided
1 1/2 cup of beef broth
4 oz andouille or smoked sausage, sliced in 1/2 inch thick diagonal slices
4 oz cooked chicken, chopped
4 oz cooked shrimp
1 tsp Cajun spice
1 tsp dried thyme
1 cup frozen okra pieces
1 pkg Miracle Noodle Ziti, drained and rinsed
Note: For the sausage, I used Hoffy Red Hot Louisiana Style sausage
1. In a small skillet, toast xanthan gum over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
2. It will slowly turn from white to off-white. Turn heat to medium and continue stirring until it's the color of cocoa powder - about another 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of bacon fat to another skillet and heat over medium heat.
4. Add celery, bell pepper, and onion and sweat until onion is translucent and celery softens.
5. Raise heat to medium-high, add liquid and bring to a boil.
6. Remove from heat and pour into a blender.
7. Place the remaining tablespoon of bacon fat into the skillet over medium-high heat and brown the sausage.
8. While the sausage is cooking, cover the blender and pulse to liquify the vegetables.
9. Carefully remove the center of the blender top and sprinkle the xanthan gum into the center of the liquid. (An alternate method is to pour the liquid into a tall container and use an immersion blending stick.) Once the xanthan gum is incorporated, set the mixture aside.
10. Add the chicken, Cajun spice and dried thyme to the sausage in the skillet. Stir to mix.
11. Pour in the veggie/xanthan gum mixture and bring to a simmer.
12. Add the shrimp, okra and Miracle Noodle ziti just to heat through. Serve in a shallow bowl.